‘Dozens Killed’ in Israel Pilgrimage Stampede at Holy Site of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai

0
189


An enormous stampede at a densely packed Jewish pilgrimage web site killed dozens of folks in northern Israel on Friday, leaving emergency staff scrambling to clear the realm and evacuate the critically injured.

The catastrophe occurred in Meron at the location of the reputed tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai, a second-century Talmudic sage, the place primarily ultra-Orthodox Jews flock to mark the Lag BaOmer vacation.

Closed final 12 months because of coronavirus restrictions, this 12 months’s pilgrimage was the most important public gathering for the reason that pandemic started.

Rescue staff had initially mentioned that chaos erupted when a bit of stadium seating collapsed however later revised that account to say the casualties had been brought on by a stampede.

Israeli media printed a picture of a row of our bodies lined in plastic luggage on the bottom.

The Magen David Adom, Israel’s rescue service, reported dozens of lifeless and mentioned it might “battle for the lives of dozens wounded, and won’t surrender till the final sufferer is evacuated.”

Emergency services deployed six helicopters to evacuate the injured.

The army said its medical teams and “a number of Israeli Air Force helicopters with medical teams… are assisting in the mass casualty incident in Mount Meron.”

“The forces are helping in the evacuation of injured and killed civilians and offering medical therapy at the scene,” it added.

“This is one of the worst tragedies that I have ever experienced,” mentioned Lazar Hyman of the United Hatzalah volunteer rescue service, who was at the scene.

“I’ve not seen something like this since I entered into the sphere of emergency drugs,” he added.

Yehuda Gottleib, one of the first responders from United Hatzalah, said he saw “dozens of people fall on top of one another during the collapse”.

“A big quantity of them had been crushed and misplaced consciousness.”

– Overcrowding –

Israel has fully vaccinated more than half of its 9.3 million population against coronavirus, but restrictions on massive public gatherings remain in place to stem the spread of the virus.

Authorities had authorised 10,000 people to gather at the site of the tomb but organisers said more than 650 buses had been chartered from across the country, bringing 30,000 pilgrims to Meron.

The Meron pilgrimage is primarily attended by ultra-Orthodox Jews, a community that has at times resisted mandatory health and safety measures during the pandemic.

Around 5,000 police had been deployed to secure the event.

The area has since been closed, with rescue workers and security forces attempting to clear the area.

Read all of the Latest News and Breaking News right here



Source hyperlink