The European Union took on vaccine producer AstraZeneca in a Brussels courtroom on Wednesday with the pressing demand that the corporate must make a right away supply of COVID-19 pictures the bloc insists have been already due.
AstraZenecas contract signed with the European Commission, the EU’s government arm, on behalf of member states foresaw an preliminary 300 million doses for distribution amongst all 27 nations, with an choice for an additional 100 million. The doses have been anticipated to be delivered all through 2021. But solely 30 million have been despatched throughout the first quarter.
Deliveries have elevated barely since then however, in response to the European Commission, the corporate is ready to offer solely 70 million doses in the second quarter. It had promised 180 million.
EU lawyer Rafael Jafferali advised the courtroom that the corporate now expects to ship the whole variety of doses by the top of December, however he added that with a six-month delay, its clearly a failure.”
His main argument is that AstraZeneca should have used production sites in the bloc and the U.K. for EU supplies as part of a “best reasonable effort clause in the contract. He said that 50 million doses that should have been delivered to the EU went to third countries instead, in violation of their contract.
Jafferali has said that the company should use all four plants listed in their contract for deliveries to the EU.
He also accused the company of misleading the European Commission by providing data lacking clarity on the delivery delays.
The information provided by AstraZeneca did not allow us to fully understand the situation before mid-March 2021, he said.
The EU has insisted its gripes with the company are about deliveries only and has repeatedly said that it has no problems with the safety or quality of the vaccine itself. The shots have been approved by the European Medicines Agency, the EU’s drug regulator.
While the bloc insists AstraZeneca has breached its contractual obligations, the company says it has fully complied with the agreement, arguing that vaccines are difficult to manufacture and it made its best effort to deliver on time.
Lawyers for the company will address the court later Wednesday.
As part of an advanced purchase agreement with vaccine companies, the EU said it invested 2.7 billion euros ($3.8 billion), including 336 million ($408 million), to finance the production of AstraZenecas serum at four factories.
The long-standing dispute drew media attention for weeks earlier this year amid a deadly surge of coronavirus infections in Europe, when delays in vaccine production and deliveries hampered the EUs vaccination campaign.
Cheaper and easier to use than rival shots from Pfizer-BioNTech, the AstraZeneca vaccine developed with Oxford University was a pillar of the EU’s vaccine rollout. But the EUs partnership with the firm quickly deteriorated amid accusations it favored its relationship with British authorities.
While the U.K. made quick progress in its vaccination campaign thanks to the AstraZeneca shots, the EU faced embarrassing complaints and criticism for its slow start.
Concerns over the pace of the rollout across the EU grew after AstraZeneca said it couldn’t supply EU members with as many doses as originally anticipated because of production capacity limits.
The health situation has dramatically improved in Europe in recent weeks, with the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths on a sharp downward trend as vaccination has picked up. About 300 million doses of vaccine have been delivered in Europe a region with around 450 million inhabitants, with about 245 million already administered.
About 46% of the EU population have had at least one dose.
In total, the European Commission has secured more than 2.5 billion of vaccine doses with various manufacturers. It recently sealed another major order with Pfizer and BioNTech through 2023 for an additional 1.8 billion doses of their COVID-19 shot to share between the blocs countries.
Following Wednesdays hearing, a second one is slated for Friday, with a judgment to be delivered at a date to be announced. In addition to the emergency action, the European Commission has launched a claim on the merits of the case for damages for which a hearing hasn’t yet been set by the court.
Read all of the Latest News, Breaking News and Coronavirus News right here